I hope with this new bill, Lagos state government will spend sometime making signs more noticeable and understandable.
Motorists that drive on one-way traffic in Lagos will now pay a fine of N50, 000 or serve a three year jail term, following the passing of the new bill the Lagos State House of Assembly on Sunday.Other penalties for traffic offenders are:
1.Riding a motor-cycle against traffic : 1st time offender – N20,000.00 subsequent offender N30,000.00 .
2. Smoking while driving - N20,000.00 fine
3. Failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout - N20,000.00 fine
4. Disobeying traffic control - N20,000.00
5. Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger - N20, 000: 00 or 3yrs imprisonment
6. Driving without valid driver’s license - Vehicle to be impounded.
7. Driving with fake number plate - N20,000.00 and 6 month imprisonment or both.